Monday, March 14, 2011

Tiramisu

Me and my husband LOVE tiramisu. We usually get it at our fav. restaurant Spezia!! If you have not been. Go. End of story. Lol! Anyways so I figured I would try to make it at home sometime. But I have looked up the recipe many times and never been able to find the lady fingers. Because they do not sell them at walmart. And when I am other places I just usually forget to look because it is not on the top of my head/list. So the other day when I was perusing the isles at Aldi ( my #1 favorite store if you havent shopped there I encourage you to go there also) Anyways I happened upon lady fingers :D Alas I had found the coveted lady fingers I quickly wandered over to the cheese section and picked up a tub of ricotta. And later when I was unpacking all the bags on my dining room table I realized that my mind was playing tricks on me. There is no Ricotta in Tiramisu. I was thinking of a completely different dessert. CRUD!! I looked on the back of the lady fingers pack and saw that I actually needed mascarpone cheese. :( This is another thing that they do not sell at Wal-mart. So I looked up a different recipe and this is what I found. On the Food Network Website.



Tiramisu


Ingredients
 
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 3/4 cup sugar, divided
  • 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, at room temperature
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 (7-ounce) package ladyfingers
  • 1 cup strong black coffee
  • 1 teaspoon cocoa powder( I also grabbed a Hershey's Dark Chocolate bar and grated and did Chocolate ribbons)




Directions


Have 4 (8-ounce) wine glasses ready.( I did this all in a 8 by 8 baking dish instead of the wine glasses although it would have been a pretty presentation it would not have been very kid friendly)
In a chilled bowl combine 3/4 cup of heavy cream and 1/4 cup sugar. Whip with a hand mixer until soft peaks form. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
In a large bowl combine the cream cheese, 1/4 cup heavy cream, vanilla and the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar. Whip with a hand mixer until light until fluffy.
Reserve 4 ladyfingers for garnish. Using1 lady finger at a time, snap or cut in half, then dip it quickly into the coffee, and drop it into the bottom of a wine glass. Repeat with the other 3 glasses. Put a heaping tablespoon of the cream cheese mixture on top of the ladyfingers in each glad. Do another layer of ladyfingers dipped in coffee, another of the cream cheese mixture, then 1 more layer of ladyfingers. Top with remaining filling and dollop with the whipped cream. Break the reserved 4 ladyfingers in half and insert 2 halves into the top of each glass.
Put the cocoa powder into a small sieve( I just sprinkled it with a spoon maybe not as pretty but it does the trick) and tap it gently over each glass to dust the tops. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.

Rating- 4 out of 5 
Look- very nice would have looked even nicer if I did follow the directions and put in a wine glass
Difficulty- Very easy
Review- I loved the overall taste of this dish and it was really close to the tiramisu we normally get when out. The only problem I had was with the lady fingers. They soaked up too much coffee and we actually soggy. I would recommend maybe using pound cake. Also maybe instead of dipping the pound cake in coffee put a decent amount of the coffee directly into your whip cream. Maybe a shot of really dark espresso Chilled in the freezer would be best :D






Let me know what you do with this dessert to make it better. Or anything you would like to see me make and give you my opinions on. I will be making all crock-pot recipes this week for my cousin who requested something that she can easily do as a mom of 2 with a full-time job. So stayed tuned :D


0 comments:

Post a Comment