Tuesday, March 22, 2011

St Pattys Day/ Rainbows and Leprechauns!!!

I always try to do alot of fun stuff for the kids on holidays! My motto is it is not how much I spend on my kids but about the things we do and the memories we make. So on Saint Patty's day I did a couple fun things! I made them all shirts and I actually didnt get a picture of all of them in them before we went to a bday party where they got sauce on them! But parkers had a sewn on tie and pocket and the girls had two shamrocks each. Which they all loved and looked super cute in. I also painted a bunch of rocks gold so that we could do a scavengers hunt for the leprechauns gold in the front yard. Which they have now put int there sandbox so that they can pan for gold all summer long. For breakfast we had green eggs and ham. Which is made the normal way I make eggs I just added a couple drops of blue to the eggs to make them green. And we also made a rainbow cake which I got the idea from the family fun website last year. I made the cupcakes last yr and I decided to make a cake this year.




Taste a Rainbow cake/cupcakes:
Ingredients
Boxed white cake mix
food coloring(red, blue, green and yellow)
Baking cups ( if you are making cupcakes) 
whip cream (optional) ( I used a whipped buttercream frosting)


Directions
1.Prepare your favorite white cake mix, then divide the batter evenly among six small bowls. Following the chart below, dye each bowl of batter a rainbow color


Purple-9 red+6 blue drops 
blue - 12 drops
green- 12 drops
yellow- 12 drops
red -18 drops
orange-12 yellow+4 red


I used a 5 inch pan. Which I only have one of so I just made one layer of the cake at a time. It was 375 for ten minutes a piece. I let them cool for 15 minutes then flipped them out onto a cooling rack. I placed them in a gallon size bag and separated them with wax paper to keep them from sticking. I put them in the fridge over night. The only reason I did this is because it was getting late you could assemble your cake as soon as they are all cooled if you have the time. Then I layered them in rainbow order red being top and purple bottom. With a layer of frosting in between each. And then frosted like normal.


And this is how it turned out:





This cake is alot of fun :D And the kids loved eating it and it is also a great learning tool so that you can discuss all the colors and which ones are which while eating all the yummy goodness. This would also be an awesome cake for any sort of birthday party where you have a color scheme or theme because you could easily pick colors to go along with your scheme/theme and layer them accordingly :D 


Oh and my kids were high on sugar this day because we also made another sweet these totally awesome leprechaun hat cookies :D


Ingredients 
1 pkg sugar cookie mix
1 pkg lrg marshmallow
1 tub of vanilla frosting

Directions 
Bake cookies according to pkg. as soon as you remove them from the oven place a marshmallow on top of each cookie. Take your can of frosting and put it in the microwave for 30 seconds and then stir to check consistency. You want it to be very loose. Add thirty second more until it reaches this consistency. Add green food coloring until it is desired color. And then spoon over your marsmallow and cookies. To make the band of the hat roll out tootsie rolls and then shape around the hat. I used sweet tarts as the pendant on the betty crocker website they used gumdrops. I roll with what I have on hand. This is how they turned out. 
Parker brought these to school for his teachers who both said that they loved them :D So that is our St. Pattys day. Alittle late I know but better late then never right?


0 comments:

Post a Comment