Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Eeek Brussel Sprouts!!

The plan for dinner tonight was to just eat leftovers of the dishes I made earlier this week. When I opened my fridge I noticed the ginormous bag of brussel sprouts in my crisper drawer. My mom bought me a bag because they were a very good price and have not gone on sale many times this year. So we jumped on it. It has been sitting in there awhile so I decided to cook half of them up before they go bad. I made one of my normal recipes that reheats very well. Asked the kids what they wanted for dinner and they said "salad" Yes salad lol!! My kids are kind of weird. Anyways I was still planning on eating leftovers but then cooked up my brussels and couldnt resist I literally had a bowl of brussel sprouts for dinner as my kids came up one by one for theres. This is after they ate there entire salads :D Anyways on with it .Most people think of brussel sprouts as gross. Things that only old people enjoy! Well I am here to change your mind with this recipe all my own. Simple ingredients come together with this much despised vegetable to make one side dish your family will love and want again and again!! As yo gabba gabba would say "try it, you'll like it". Also a great tidbit for you brussel sprouts may be able to protect you against cancer they have something in them called indole which is a phytochemical. Yet another reason to try this recipe


without further ado:


Teriyaki Brussels 


1lb brussel sprouts
2T olive oil
3T soy sauce
1/8 t. ground ginger
3 cloves fresh garlic (pressed or minced)
pinch of pepper 
pinch of cayenne


Cut you brussels. Cut the hard end off about 1/8 of and inch up. Pull any loose leaves off.  Cut in half. Put 1T olive oil and pressed/minced garlic in a frying pan on med/high heat. Cook garlic for 30-45 seconds or until starting to sizzle. Add in your brussels and 1 T of soy sauce (poured over the entire pan) Let cook about 15 minutes or until you take one of the larger halfs out and it seems alittle crisp but not bitter Make sure you flip a couple times during this time but not too often because you want them to get some good caramelization. Pour in the last 2 T of soy sauce and the other Tablespoon of Olive oil Cook another 5-7 depending on how well done you like them then enjoy


Look- Very Rustic and welcoming
Taste- Good Flavor and a nice nuttyness in the background
Difficulty- Easy not many ingredients and it mostly just does its own thing in the pan for almost the entire cooking time. 
Review- I like this recipe alot and it is one of the many that I do often in the winter in our house


I am not going to rate my own recipes cause that just seems weird lol.  My family really likes this recipe and before my husband had my brussel sprouts he did not like them. Now he LOVES them. Another way to cook this is in the oven in a foil pouch. Put all the ingredients in the foil brussel sprouts first. Then fold two sides together and scrunch then roll the other two sides up place in a baking dish and roast at 375 for atleast 20 minutes. 


The top picture is a brussel sprout plant thought it was super interesting and that I should share also sorry about the pic of the dish it is from my phone :/

0 comments:

Post a Comment